About vinyl flooring
There are two popular forms of vinyl flooring. If you’re looking for vinyl flooring in Pietermaritzburg, you’ve come to the right place! At Floor Smart, we’re leaders in the industry, and we sell and install both – vinyl tile and cushion vinyl.
We have more than 20 years’ flooring experience and train our staff to the highest standards. Our exceptional standards and focus on quality sets us apart. We understand that today’s frenzied lifestyle and higher cost of living means that home dwellers and owners want budget-friendly, practical flooring solutions.
When it comes to searching for vinyl flooring in Pietermaritzburg speak to us – we’ll advise you on the best options. Our commitment to incredible service means we’ll install the flooring for you quickly and without comebacks, or equip you to do so yourself like a pro!
Why is vinyl flooring popular?
We have witnessed vinyl flooring in Pietermaritzburg becoming increasingly popular, as it is throughout the rest of the country – and indeed the globe. It is often highly used in kitchens and bathrooms in particular.
Vinyl is linoleum’s synthetic cousin and thanks to many advances in manufacture today, the vinyl quality has evolved to become ever more appealing, durable and cost-effective.
The advantages of vinyl flooring
Vinyl flooring is stain-resistant, pocket-friendly and attractive. So, when you’re considering what to put underfoot next, do give this modern option a chance, and remember us for the highest quality vinyl flooring in Pietermaritzburg.
Some other advantages of vinyl flooring are:
- It creates a static-free underfoot environment. Perfect for pet-fur and as an anti-dust mechanism.
- It can withstand high amounts of traffic – great for a busy household or for one brimming with pets.
- Great for spills and stains – such as in the bathroom and kitchen. These are easy-to-clean, no-fuss floors.
- It is comfortable and non-slip underfoot.
- It is a ‘quiet’ form of flooring, in other words, it reduces noise.
- It comes in a large variety of styles and colours, including wood-grain imitations.
A few considerations before installing vinyl floors:
As leaders of vinyl flooring in Pietermaritzburg, we make our clients aware of the following considerations too. We pride ourselves on being upfront and ethical. This helps you make a more informed purchase decision, and get the most from your new floor:
- Although vinyl handles lots of foot traffic well, it doesn’t handle actual heavy loads well. This is not the floor for large-scale industrial operations.
- Very sharp objects applied with high force can dent vinyl floors. High heels won’t dent the floor.
- Vinyl is best reserved for indoor use. Constant exposure to sunlight can alter and damage the colour.
Luxury vinyl tile – the first popular form of vinyl flooring
This is a Luxury Vinyl Tile (LVT) which combines the two most desirable attributes a floor tile can exhibit: beauty and durability. This opion gives you a floor that’s incredibly long-lasting and attractive.
Our Luxury Vinyl Tile is manufactured with Nano Silver technology. This keeps your house safer from bacteria such as E.coli and mould. It is environmentally friendly as it’s comprised of 67% recycled PVC. It is also 100% waterproof.
The Luxury Vinyl Tile comes in two forms:
- The first is a glue less click technology.
- The second is a glue-down installation.
Our vinyl flooring in Pietermaritzburg comes with a 5 to 20-year warranty. It depends on the application, and factors such as what is already underfloor beneath the vinyl.
Installation − Click Lock
The subfloor should be smooth, flat, dry, clean and rigid. When installing vinyl flooring in Pietermaritzburg, we advise that imperfections greater than 2mm by 2m must be removed by screeding.
- Lay the first row with the groove facing you. Insure that the row is straight by using a spare plank to align the boards.
- The manufacturer recommends that an expansion gap of between 5mm and 8mm be left around the perimeter of the room. This is essential for a secure installation and to ensure successive rows remain straight and properly aligned.
- The last board can be cut with a utility knife with a sharp blade.
- The second row must be laid with a staggered joint from the first row. It is essential to stagger joints to insure planks are locked, and to achieve a random appearance in the flooring.
Installation − glue down
As leading providers of vinyl flooring in Pietermaritzburg, we advise the following:
- The subfloor should be smooth, flat, dry, clean and rigid.
- Imperfections greater than 2mm by 2m must be removed by screeding. Any polish or paint must be removed from the subfloor so the adhesive can stick.
- The vinyl must acclimatise to the room where it is going to be installed 48 hours prior to the actual installation.
- Find the exact centre of the floor by marking vertical and horizontal lines across the floor.
- Measure the squareness of the marked lines, then start applying adhesive on the first quarter of the marked floor space. Apply the adhesive with a notched trowel and allow it to flash off (‘flashing off’ means allowing the adhesive to become tacky before laying the plank). Keep a distance of 2mm from the wall.
Cushion Vinyl – the second popular choice of vinyl flooring
As providers of vinyl flooring in Pietermaritzburg, we’ve also seen a huge demand for cushioned sheeting. Cushioned sheeting gives you a quiet, soft experience with aesthetically appealing, realistic designs. It is highly durable and practical for everyday use.
Different patterns including wood, stone and retro are available. Cushion vinyl is warm in winter and cool in summer. The wear warranty varies from 5 to 10 years depending on the application and range.
Installing cushion vinyl
Cushioned vinyl is manufacturerdin either a 2m- or 4m-wide roll.
- The subfloor should be smooth, flat, dry, clean and rigid. Imperfections greater than 2mm by 2m must be removed by screeding.
- Any polish or paint must be removed from the subfloor so the adhesive can stick.
- Apply the adhesive with a notched trowel and allow it to flash off, i.e. allow the adhesive to go tacky before laying the sheeting.